Research Project Profile
Hydrodynamic and Internal Diffusion Effects in Chemical Looping Combustion
PI: P. A Ramachandran
, Washington University in St. Louis
Co-PIs: S. Lim
, CSIRO Australia
What is Chemical-Looping-Combustion (CLC)?
- Two interconnected reactors, (air reactor and a fuel reactor) are used as shown in the figure.
- A metal oxide is used as an oxygen carrier for the fuel.
- Reduced metal is then returned to the air reactor for reoxidation.
- This avoids mixing or dilution of combustion products with nitrogen, thereby providing directly concentrated ’sequestration ready stream of with a high CO2 content
- Process appears to be cost effective since separation costs are reduced but need detailed engineering models to assess the potential of this technology and optimum process conditions.
- Study the role of the particle residence time on the chemical looping combustion reactor performance.
- Examine the role of intraparticle diffusion on the operating character of the recirculating system.
- Develop a phenomenological model for two inter-connected reactors as shown in the diagram.